Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Undoing of Moka Akashiya

Moka Akashiya is a lying, conniving, pirate loving, life sucking vampire. From the moment she got her pilots license, she has traveled the Orion verse tricking and scamming anyone foolish enough to trust her. She has cheated so many pilots and alliances that even she doesn’t remember them all. It is a way of life for Moka, the center of her existence, but she has just met her match. I want to make it clear that I am not out to get Moka, but I also won’t going to pass up a perfect opportunity to expose her to the light of day.

My first contact with Moka came when I was a member of Three Colours. Moka applied for membership a few months after I was accepted into 3C. In her interviews with the 3C membership, she presented a sweet and kind-hearted appearance. She played the role of a new pilot seeking help and assistance for the more established male pilots, whom she flirted with at every opportunity. She complained a lot about being poor; openly saying on the open alliance chat system how wished she had profitable buildings, or money for a new piece of equipment, or whatever. At the beginning, she didn’t exactly ask for loans or financial assistance, but several of the wealthier male pilots sent her money. And finally, she asked about our military activities. She wanted to know who we hated, who our best pilots were, what military operations we had going or planned to initiate. None of these questions is surprising in itself, since she was new to the alliance, but she always seemed to have an agenda. In particular, Moka wanted to know about our activities concerning pirates.

At the time, 3C was actively engaged in several conflicts against pirates. One of our home sectors was Split, which was plagued by piracy. They seemed to be everywhere, and not just NIPs, mind you, but the Famous Pirates loved to come to Split and wreak havoc. Now, keep in mind, this was just before the Famous Pirates initiated their “Crap the Gap Campaign,” so 3C had its hands full trying to keep these vagrants from disrupting our economic activities and harming our pilots. As a result, we had ambush stacks all over Split, although most focused on the three 3C dominated sectors—Quexho, Canolin, and Phiandgre—as well as Ladaen. Although Moka was accepted as a trial member, her interest in our pirating hunting activities raised a lot of red flags among the members. We also started receiving reports that Moka had been involved in several unsavory activities and was possibly a spy for the Famous Pirates. Surprisingly, the leadership of 3C decided to let Moka remain with the alliance, although she was not to be trusted—a decision that would prove to be a mistake.

Immediately after gaining membership, Moka began to make her real character known. She constantly asked alliance leaders for funds, and openly begged for help from the members. Several members fell prey to shenanigans, although everyone grew less and less willing to help. She also convinced the alliance to build her several buildings, and then she immediately began complaining about the traders. Simultaneously, the military activities of 3C began to notice a precipitous drop in success. We normally triggered on at least one pirate each week, but for nearly three weeks no one had any success. Although it has not been proven, several members started to think that MA was giving ambush locations. Then when the Famous Pirates initiated their “Crap the Gap Campaign,” MA stepped up her information gathering activities—going so far as to openly ask in AC what we intended to do as well as sending private messages to everyone in search of information. Since everyone was losing patience with her, MA had no idea what was going on and was not able to help her friends when it was decided to destroy their first PROGRES tax collection starbase (a story for another time).

When FP established a new PROGRES starbase, MA was determined to know if we would go after it. SB destructions were expensive and time consuming, so we opted to leave it be. Course it didn’t hurt that FP’s activities in GAP meant they left our assets alone. But MA’s persistence in finding out about an operation cued several members onto her real reason. She was a spy and it was time to gather evidence. We began to post bogus messages about gathering supplies for an assault and plans were openly discussed for another assault—although the date was never given. FP members began to monitor every entry point into GAP, exhausting themselves to protect their SB (while also discontinuing their menacing of GAP).

To ensure we knew the exact identity of our spy, a plan was formulated to give information identifying separate pilots tasked with moving attack materials to GAP. The information for each pilot was given to four different pilots who were told not to tell anyone else, not based on suspicion so much as to test the transfer of information within the alliance. I was identified to Moka as the main transporter, and I was immediately put on the foe list for every member of FP. They also all started sending me nasty and taunting private messages. I had no formal contact with them prior to this, so they had to have been notified by Moka.


None of the four other pilots used at bait were selected out by FP, so Moka Akashiya was spying for FP. None one other than her and three other members of 3C knew about our ruse. I was one of the three, and I am positive the other two members did not speak. Now you may be thinking that as a member of 3C, which was in the midst of an undeclared war on FP, that I had to be known to them. But such was not the case. I was a noob. Period. I had enough skill and experience to pilot a small transport, which I had used to help support squad actions. I participated in ambushes as a Marauder pilot, but never killed a member of FP or even triggered on them. No, they learned about me from Moka—pure and simple—and I am still foed by the few remnants of FP.

With clear evidence of Moka’s duplicity and several members complaining that she was running a confidence game, a discussion was opened concerning her removal from 3C. Unfortunately, it was decided that she was too valuable of an asset to let go. Since we knew she was a spy, it was believed that we could use her to our advantage by sending false information to FP. An operation was developed to go after the second PROGRES starbase, but events surrounding the EMP-UNI war forced us to abandon it. Moka should have been ejected with the plan, but somehow she remained. It was a decision all of 3C would come to regret.

The war between the UNIs and EMPs really had nothing to do with 3C. We had pilots in both alliances, but formally claimed neutrality. Pilots wanting to participate were told to resign membership until the war ended. Several did that. For those that remained, the war was seen as a perfect money making opportunity. It requires huge quantities of supplies, and we were positioned nicely to supply the combatants. Unfortunately, supplying both sides of a war is a touchy matter, and 3C failed to cover itself. One of our pilots, an UNI sb owner who felt harassed by EMP ambushers in EPR, was caught in a combat zone supplying UNI forces engaged in a squad attack. We denied it emphatically, but it put 3C in the crosshairs of the Empire. Several small alliances (particularly TIRO, X-COM, and RIOT, began to attack our Split holdings.

While we were distracted by the attacks in Split, Kerberus initiated a much more sinister operation against us with the help of Moka. Kerberus infiltrated a spy named Karith into 3C. Karith pilot came with Moka’s support (which should have been a warning) and the two worked together to acquire evidence that 3C was pro-Uni. Simultaneously, the two began plans to use 3C squads to destroy the SB owned by Twifilo, the pilot caught supplying UNI forces. It was a brilliantly executed plan, and took everyone in 3C by surprise. Twifilo’s SB was destroyed, and 3C confidence left in tatters. No one trusted anyone. Everyone felt betrayed and disgusted by what transpired. Several pilots, including myself left.

Outside the ranks of 3C, I sought retribution on the EMPs and waged a guerrilla war inside their lines. I destroyed buildings, attacked traders, disrupted trade, and scouted an attack on the MO walls of PE-7. The carnage of war failed to quench my anger and bitterness, but the war ended and so did my aggression. I bounced around the verse, going from one alliance to another. Aimlessly wondering. Disillusioned and disheartened.

Okay, so based on my description of what transpired, I probably really do have reason to dislike Moka Akashaya and want to destroy her. I’ve known about Moka (and her activities) for some time. I have more than enough personal reasons to want to hunt Moka out of existence. But I honestly didn’t (and still don’t) care about Moka Akashiya. Being annoying as hell, grifting alliance mates, and spying for pirates (and other undesirables—like the Empire) are relatively harmless in the larger scheme of atrocities found in the verse. I moved on and let the past behind.

Then reports started to come to me of Moka taking advantage of alliances and unsuspecting pilots. Cons, confidence schemes, and even claims of exhortation. What really irked me is her open willingness to lie and use her past membership in 3C to advantage. She even blamed her activities on 3C members she knew were inactive. Some due to her betrayal.

And that is when opportunity offered me a chance to get Moka Akashaya. One of her newest scams was to claim to be a pirate hunter, and to use that profession to wantonly attack weaker pilots. She also played her past associations to get membership in a respected Federal alliance operating in the neutral zone and headed by Hutch. Strangely, neither Hutch nor her alliance mates noted what Moka was up to, but her victims rarely do. Most of them quietly took her abuse or complained to Hutch who sided with his alliance as any leader should. But then Moka got greedy and started attacking fuel tankers, which put her at odds with the respected Fed pilot Seion Hotaru and his newly established Fuel Fighters alliance. Seion placed a bounty Moka for sending out false automated distress calls so she could attack the fuel tankers bringing aid. Rather than admit what she did was wrong, Moka sought out friends to help her get retribution (of course she wouldn’t do the dirty work herself, Seion might give her a pod ride). To do so she needed to know his location, and foolishly posted a request for a hacker on the trade comms.

Since I regularly monitor the comms, I saw the message and eagerly responded to Moka. I sorta expected her to reject my offer, but she surprised me by being happy to work with a former alliance mate. I gave her my fees for hacking, and we made a contract. I sent the hack information a few minutes later knowing Moka would try to weasel out of payment. I knew Moka well enough to know that she wouldn’t be able to help herself—she seems to revel in taking advantage. Moka took the bait, responding to my hack information with a smart comment about me coming to find her for payment.

Having hacked Moka at the same time I hacked Seion, I told gave her exact location in the NPR (as well as those of her buildings) and told her I was heading there immediately. Moka baulked at my knowledge, and promised to pay. I got to the NPR a few hours later, and Moka and I made arrangements to meet on a wormhole where we both were protected. As expected, she didn’t show. I contacted her again, and she made excuses.

Since this was exactly what I was expecting from Moka, I wanted to give her as much chance as possible to do the right thing before I publicly humiliated her. With that in mind, I told her I would wait for one day at our meeting location so she would have a chance to get there. Twenty four hours passed, but Moka never showed up.

Having given Moka enough time, I set the second part of my plan into motion. First, I went on to the trading communication channels to notify others not to do business with Moka. Explaining the situation between us in full, I made it clear that I intended to collect my pay one way or another. Since Moka won’t pay up, I would destroy her buildings. I also sent messages to her alliance so they would not interfere. With the preliminaries out of the way, I took down the defenses of Mok’s three buildings. My purpose was not complete destruction, but to keep Moka from making any money off of them.

Attacking buildings is a short sighted tactic. It hurts the traders as much as it would hurt Moka, but it is a flamboyant way of alerting the community Moka associates with that she was less than desirable. I wanted to draw out a confrontation with Moka for as long as I could, largely because of what was happening on the communication channels. My declaration concerning Moka led to a widespread response from her numerous victims. Not only did they show support for my actions, but they started documenting their own interactions with the villain. There were a few supporters for Moka, but they were quickly silenced by the vast number of her detractors. The comm attack continued for some time, destroying Moka’s reputation and alerting the verse to her nefarious activities.

For a while, Moka flew with the federation alliance called the Triad, but I hear she was kicked out and now pirates in Federation space. I look for her when I am in Federation space, always an opportunist—it would be nice to give her a long deserved pod ride.



Pod ride delivered:
2011/07/23 - 19:06 Moka Akashiya: Federation affiliation
Hope Hubris attacked and defeated Moka Akashiya.

No comments:

Post a Comment